CMS Increases Emergency Preparedness Interpretive Guidelines
Share this program:
Wednesday, May 19, 2021
10:30 AM EASTERN
$90 for Non-member
Ohio Health Care Association
Emergencies may strike at any time and with no warning. They come in all shapes and sizes. Today it must be a priority for facilities to ensure adequate emergency preparation. CMS recently issued QSO-21-15 providing comprehensive update of Appendix Z for the Federal Emergency Preparedness requirements. CMS expanded the surveyor guidance on planning for emerging infectious diseases, including lessons learned, best practices and planning bearing in mind the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency. Some of the other updated guidance on the following issues:
• Updated considerations of risk assessment
• Staffing for emergencies and for surge
• On-going monitoring of CDC and other public health agencies, which may issue event-specific guidance and recommendations to healthcare workers during emergencies
• Expanded surveyor guidance to ensure Life Safety Code and health surveyors communicate/collaborate surrounding potential deficiencies for alternate source energy including the use of portable generators
• Clarified expectations surrounding documentation of the emergency program.
• Updated practices related to reporting of facility needs, facility’s ability to provide assistance and occupancy
• Increasing the flexibility for the testing requirement so that one of the two annually required testing exercises may be an exercise of the facility’s choice
• Provided clarifications related to testing exercise exemptions when a provider/supplier experiences an actual emergency event.
Kenneth Daily, LNHA, OHCA Life Safety and Emergency Preparedness Committee Chair will discuss at a high level the new survey guidance and run through a checklist to help facilities prepare and ensure emergency plans are complete.
If applicable, you may obtain credit in multiple jurisdictions simultaneously for this program (see pending/approved list below). Registrants in jurisdictions not listed below will receive a Certificate of Attendance/Completion that may or may not meet credit requirements in other jurisdictions. Where applicable, credit will be only awarded to a paid registrant attending the live program at their own computer and phone.
Click on jurisdiction for specific details:
How to Attend
Join the live program from your office, home, or hotel room using a computer with high speed internet. You may ask questions, participate in surveys, and post comments from your computer during the program. Please note that credit (if available) is only provided to registered attendees participating at their own computer and phone. Simple instructions with a link to the program will be sent when you register and again the day before the webinar.